PRESS KIT DOWNLOADS:
- ALBUM SAFETY ZONE RELEASE SHEET: download the DUTCH VERSION or the ENGLISH VERSION
- MJO infosheet of the Millennium Jazz Orchestra (English)
- Technical rider of the orchestra
- STAGE plot MJO
- Hi-res PHOTOS of the orchestra
- MJO hi-res logo
All CDs have brought about many warm reactions here and abroad. Some of the many enthusiastic comments:
On the album Lookin’ East:
- ‘The Netherlands, with a population less than that of New York State, is home to no less than four of the world’s most accomplished jazz ensembles ….. Indeed, there is ample cause to argue that the MJO belongs at the very top of that plateau, steep as it may be.
The section work (including rhythm) on Lookin’ East is unerring, the solos consistently bright and engaging. At the heart of it is Reinders, a virtuosic composer / arranger whose remarkable perception charts a steady course for the orchestra and keeps it hastening ceaselessly onward and upward.’ (Lookin’ East) Jack Bowers on Allaboutjazz.com
- ‘….his themes and charts, which continue to swing with gusto, are weightier and more persuasive than ever.
The MJO is a world-class ensemble with charts to match by Reinders who deserves unconditional applause for his remarkable leadership and perseverance.’ (Safety Zone) Jack Bowers on Allaboutjazz.com
- ‘Dutch composer / arranger Joan Reinders isn’t well-known (in fact, hardly known at all) on this side of the Pond but really should be, as he is among the best anywhere at what he does, which is basically writing and arranging for big bands including the splendid Millennium Jazz Orchestra. ….. his work is as impressive as any big-band jazz you’re likely to hear, in the Netherlands or well beyond its borders.’ (Pretty Pumps) Jack Bowers on Allaboutjazz.com
On the album Oattsnotes:
- ‘ This cd is an excellent example how big band music is composed, arranged and played in a contemporary manner.’ (Oattsnotes) Munich records
- ‘If you’re only going to buy one big band/vocalist album this year, “Specially Arranged for Fay” should probably be the one. This isn’t your grandfather’s big band, and perhaps not your father’s, either. If it is, you’ve got hip parents, for sure.’ (Specially Arranged for Fay) Bruce Anderson
- ‘…On her third album Fay Claassen takes a cue from Ol’ Blue Eyes, using as her back-up crew the world-class Millennium Jazz Orchestra and commissioning superlative charts by conductor / music director Joan Reinders.’ (Specially Arranged for Fay) Jack Bowers
- ‘Your music was beautifully played by the band and some of the music was extra-special .’ (Triangular) Bob Florence
- ‘….Getting back to Joan Reinders, I am stunned by the quality of his arrangements throughout. His brilliantly imaginative approach to standards has me in awe.….The dynamics of the band are thrilling ….…..this superb Dutch Big Band.’ (Triangular) John Killoch
- ‘The performances are first rate, and excellent writing. Bravo to everyone and special congrats to the arranger.’ (Magnifying-glass) John Clayton
- ‘I wasn’t prepared for this kind of writing and playing. I’m really impressed by the charts. This is great music, performed with spirit and dedication.’ (Magnifying-glass) Bill Holman
- ‘Listening to this CD is to me a very pleasant meeting with a young powerful orchestra…’(Some Frames of Mind) Jerry van Rooyen
- On November 7th 2003 Reinders was awarded the Peter Schilperoort Award for his special contributions to Dutch jazz music. According to the jury “Joan turned a stereotype regional big band into a nationally appreciated jazz orchestra. The “Big Barchem Band” became the Millennium Jazz Orchestra, that made its name by working with many top soloists”.